Sunday, March 21, 2010

They see me rollin'

Well it's been fricken forever since I made a new post, in all honesty I haven't been doing anything worth talking about, just a lot of work. However, over the last few weeks the weather has been slowly making its way from balls freezing cold to at least mild temps. So it's quickly becoming "car season" again, and hopefully this year I can keep my ass peeled away from the anime and video games long enough to get some real work done on the 240, and the Yaris.

Speaking of the Yaris, I just ordered a new wheel/tire setup for summer (the factory steelies are officially winter wheels, using the old snow tires I had on the 240).


These are the wheels (well not the actual wheels, this is a stock photo, but you get the idea). They're Enkei RPF1's, I ordered them in 15's, since it's a small car and I don't want it to look like more of a retarded roller skate than it already does. The other reason is the 15's are an "I came buckets" inducing 9.5 pounds each. Combined with the tires (that are about 20 pounds), which I'll get to in a second, the whole package should end up right around 30 pounds which is about as light as I've ever seen for a wheel/tire package, short of "shaved" tires and carbon fiber composite wheels. Which should hopefully give some nice benefits like better acceleration and braking (with 85HP it needs any help it can get), which should make "spirted" drives a little more fun, and safe (since nothing is less fun than driving like a tool, then having to get a ride home after you "make friends" with a big ass tree).

  I decided to go with a pretty ass kicking set of summer tires, and after reading a bunch of articles, tests, and reviews I settled on these. They're Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec's (195/55/15), and besides having one of the longest names ever given to a tire, they're supposed to be one of the best "extreme performance" summer tires money can buy, but at $89/ea. they're also dirt cheap compared to the Goodyear's and Pirelli's of similar class. 

Other plans for the Yaris are a new set of springs (more than likely a set of Eibach Pro-lines), and a TRD rear sway bar (which should help the car from getting pushed all over the road in a cross wind, like it does currently). Chances are this will be the extent of modifications I do to the Yaris, since, it's still just a work car, so I don't want to do too much, and end up with another loud ass car that pounds me to death where ever I drive. 


The wheels/tires should show up early next week, and I should have them on as soon as I get a day off. I'll be sure to take some pictures and shit, and post them here. So now I guess all 3 of you that read my shit have something to look forward to.

No comments: