Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Hacker, Crackers and Pirates, oh my

Last week Funimation (basically the Microsoft of US anime distribution), announced that the newest episodes of One Piece and Phantom got "leaked" from their site when a "hacker" broke into the server and downloaded them before they were even broadcast on TV in Japan (lol).

Now I'm not going to say I support what this (these?) "hacker(s)" did, but when I read an article and it says "A group discovered a copy of the Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ anime's episode 10 on a publicly accessible server of the anime distributor Funimation," I just have to *facepalm*. A publicly accessible server, wow great job, why not just put a big ass flash banner with a direct link right to the file on your homepage while your at it. Seriously, it's computer security 101, DON'T PUT SHIT ONLINE YOU DON'T WANT STOLEN. It's like hosting a website and having a "private" folder on the server that you use to store your credit card number on, then when someone steals it and buy a bunch of shit you get all pissed that they "hacked" you. Just because something isn't directly linked on your site DOES NOT mean it's not accessible at all, it just means someone has to work a little bit to find it.

It's honestly not that hard to find "private" folders, you can use Google to find tons of "hidden" files, folders, webpages, etc. and it doesn't require any talent at all. Really, I'm about as non-hacker as they come, but even I've found private pages on peoples personal and buisness websites, it's REALLY simple (use keywords like "intitle:" and "site:" in your searches, and you can find all sort of things).

Now I suppose I could be misreading this, it's possible that this person(s) actually did some "hacking", and actually manipulate things to gain access to the file, but from the sounds of it it was nothing more than a little bit of URL guessing. No, they shouldn't have taken what they found and spread it all over the place. But this is how the internet works, and it's how most people on the internet act. Let's say I'm messing around on Myspace for instance (not that I would cause it sucks, but anyway), and I run across some girls "private" picture folder with a bunch of naked pics in it. You'd be god damn right I'm gonna link that shit to my friends, and they'll probably link it to their's and so on. Is it "right" no, I should just ignore it, or if I'm feeling extra nice, send her an e-mail saying her "private" photos aren't very private.

To me this all sounds like a case of "no one gonna find this here." on the part of Funimation, and they're blaming their lack of security on a "hacker" and his "leet skillz", instead of following the first rule of internet security, by not putting things you don't want stolen online in the first place.

No comments: