Thursday, December 25, 2008

anime on bluray? what for?


This is something I've been thinking about for a while now, and reading this article really made me wonder about just how much better anime (or cartoons in general for that matter)could possibly look in HD format (bluray in particular). That's not to say it's a total waste, shows like Appleseed, Final Fantasy: Spirts Within, Final Fantasy: Advent Children, and AniMatrix come to mind as shows that are detailed enough for an HD release (being that they're CG films with presumably large budgets). For the most part though, and speaking directly at this article, I can't really see the advantage of HD versions of old shows, especially hand drawn shows (which I'm about 95% certain the old Tenchi Muyo movies are). Unless there's some sort of video remastering/ touch up job done on them I just can't see how a drawning is ever going to look better then it was drawn. Besides the fact that anime is pretty expensive to begin with on dvd, and bluray is only going to make it more expensive (it's going to get the 1-2 punch of being a) a niche product and b) a new HD format).

As you can see from the article the Tenchi Muyo movie boxset runs 23,400 yen (about $235 US) and (unless there's something extra) it's only for 3 movies, making them around $80 a piece. Which honestly is REALLY expensive for something that's at best a slightly clearer version of something you can get on dvd for $27. I put the comparison picture from the article at the top of this post, so you can see the difference yourself. For me it's really tough to see a noticible difference, but I guess if your the guy that blows $235 on it you must see something I don't.

On a slightly humorous side note, this points out how huge of a nerd I am, it's 4:30 in the morning on Christmas day, and the best thing I have to do is write up a blog article on Bluray anime. :P

No comments: