Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Project Continues

Well my original plan for posting updates on the car 1-2 times a month was apparently wishful thinking. I've been working on it on and off, but there hasn't been any major changes so there really wasn't any good reason to post anything. But I figured it was about time to post some updates (even if they're small), and get some other info up about what the project has in store.


This is basically what the front half looks like at the moment. The head lights are from a company called Circuit Sport, they're "angel eye" lights (which means they have a halo effect like you see on BMW's when only the parking lights are on).

The engine still hasn't been put back together since I'm still waiting for a ring compressor, which is on back order >_>. I'll be rebuilding it with Eagle H-beam rods, pictured above, and a set of Fel-pro stock cast pistons (no picture, they're just boring stock pistons). Originally I planed to use a set of Arias 10.8:1 domed pistons, but I decided not to spend $600 for pistons and another few hundred for machine work. Maybe after a year or 2 of track use I'll upgrade from the stockers.




Some of the other areas I'm working on at the moment are the trunk, since I'm moving the battery to the trunk, and replacing the gas tank with an 8 gallon fuel cell. I'm going to be replacing the entire trunk floor with aluminum to make mounting the battery box and the fuel cell easier (and it will look a hell of a lot better as a flat piece, instead of having the big ugly spare tire "well" in the middle of the floor).

I'm also replacing all the factory wiring and fuse blocks with Painless Wiring units. Originally I was just tracing down the wires and cutting off the ones that were no longer in use, but it became way more of a pain in the ass than it was worth. The factory wiring was a god damn nightmare, and I wasted about 3 weeks with it till I finally gave up and decided to just strip it entirely and rewire it from scratch. It might be a little more difficult (though I'd be hard pressed to see how), but I think the pay off in the end will be far greater then using a 20 year-old half assed cut up factory wiring harness.

In between the bigger projects I've also been changing out the bushings with Energy Suspension polyurethane ones. I've replaced those on the front and rear sway bar, and the steering rack as of right now.

I'm also "shaving" the front and rear side marker lights and the fuel door (since the fuel cell will be in the trunk) for a cleaner look. I have been thinking of just moving the front markers from where they are (right behind the front bumper) to up near the top rear corner of the fender. I'll be using a different housing, since the factory amber ones look like cheap ass bicycle reflectors. That will (hopefully) help keeping me from getting pulled over, considering everything else that's likely to get me pulled over, every little bit that doesn't will help.

Some plans for the future include:
-Aluminum dashboard with Autometer C2 gauges
-Corbeau: FX1 Pro seats
-MSD 6AL-2 ignition and Blaster coil
-Converting to manual brakes using a Wilwood master cylinder
-Baer drilled&slotted rotors and Hawk HP Plus pads (front and rear)

And something just for fun,

After getting inspired by an old letter in Super Street magazine, I decided to make a "JDM-style" key, but since I'm not rich I used a cheap screw driver from the hardware store and not a fancy Snap-on one :).

No comments: